Ertale Lounge shooting: Said Ibrahim pleads guilty to second-degree murder
Said Ibrahim pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the Ertale Lounge shooting that killed one and injured seven; sentencing set after Sept. 4, 2026.
A man accused of firing dozens of rounds at a busy Edmonton nightclub in 2022 admitted in court Wednesday that he is guilty of second-degree murder for his role in the Ertale Lounge shooting. The plea by Said Ibrahim, who acknowledged he was one of the gunmen, was entered in the Court of King’s Bench and immediately reshaped the case’s path to sentencing. The hearing to determine how long he must serve before applying for parole has been adjourned until a date after Sept. 4, 2026.
Defendant admits to second-degree murder
Ibrahim pleaded guilty to the lesser included charge with the consent of the Crown, a move that preserves a mandatory life sentence while changing parole eligibility parameters. Second-degree murder carries a parole ineligibility period that can range from 10 to 25 years, unlike first-degree murder where parole cannot be sought for 25 years. Crown prosecutor Kerri Facchinutti and defence lawyer Akram Attia indicated they expect to present a joint submission on the parole ineligibility period, but provided no details at the hearing.
Sequence of events during the March 2022 attack
Shortly before 3 a.m. on March 12, 2022, a group of five people drove to Ertale Lounge near 118 Avenue and 125 Street, witnesses and police accounts show. Four suspects exited a red Ford Focus and opened fire on a crowded patio, unleashing a rapid volley of rounds that police later counted as 66 shots fired in about 21 seconds. The intensity and speed of the gunfire sent patrons fleeing and created chaotic scenes that night.
Casualties and injuries from the patio shooting
One person, 28-year-old Imbert George, was struck and killed as he left the venue with his wife and friends; seven other people suffered gunshot wounds. Several of those injured required hospital treatment and surgery to repair damaged tissue and organs, medical accounts during the investigation indicated. Survivors and family members attended Wednesday’s proceedings and are expected to deliver victim impact statements at the upcoming sentencing.
Forensic evidence tying Ibrahim to the scene
Investigators linked Ibrahim to the attack through a combination of video surveillance and DNA evidence recovered at the scene and in the getaway vehicle. Security cameras captured a balaclava-clad shooter aiming a handgun with an extended magazine at the patio, and police say a balaclava containing Ibrahim’s DNA was later found in the suspect vehicle. A handgun thrown from the front passenger window was tested and found to contain an empty 32-round clip and DNA consistent with Ibrahim, according to Crown submissions.
Court schedule, parole implications and joint submission
Ibrahim remains in custody and appeared in the prisoner dock during the plea, wearing custody coveralls as proceedings took place. Sentencing was adjourned and a date after Sept. 4, 2026 was set for the court to decide the length of parole ineligibility he will face. If the court accepts a joint submission on ineligibility, Ibrahim could face a period before parole eligibility anywhere in the legislated range of 10 to 25 years; the precise number will determine whether he is eligible for earlier parole consideration than a first-degree conviction would permit.
Related convictions and outstanding suspects
Other participants in the case have received distinct outcomes: one co-accused, identified in court records as Samatar Mohiadin, was convicted of first-degree murder and received a life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years. The vehicle’s driver, Mohamod Mohamod, was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to eight years in prison. Police investigators continue to identify a previously unnamed shooter who fled on foot that night and have outstanding Canada-wide warrants for another individual, Saed Osman, who absconded after being released on bail.
Family members of the slain man and injured patrons were present for the hearing and are expected to make victim impact statements that will be considered at sentencing. The plea marks a significant legal development in one of Edmonton’s deadliest mass shootings, but it leaves unresolved questions about motive and the role of a remaining unidentified suspect. The court will now move to weigh the agreed facts, victim impact, and sentencing principles when it hears the joint submission and determines Ibrahim’s parole ineligibility.