Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Home PoliticsBald Range wildfire damages or destroys about 150 buildings in Summerland

Bald Range wildfire damages or destroys about 150 buildings in Summerland

by Bella Henderson
0 comments
Bald Range wildfire damages or destroys about 150 buildings in Summerland

Bald Range wildfire damages about 150 buildings as phased returns begin in Summerland, B.C.

About 150 buildings were damaged or destroyed in the Bald Range wildfire near Summerland, B.C.; phased returns are underway and supports arranged for evacuees.

The regional emergency operations centre released a preliminary tally on Monday evening showing roughly 150 structures in the Summerland area had been damaged or lost to the Bald Range wildfire. Electoral Area F — including the rural communities of Faulder and Meadow Valley — sustained the heaviest losses, with about 110 buildings affected. Officials cautioned the figures are provisional and could change as assessments continue.

Preliminary damage assessment

The Emergency Operations Centre described the numbers as an initial estimate intended to guide immediate recovery and support efforts. In the district of Summerland itself, authorities reported approximately 40 structures damaged or destroyed. The centre and local officials emphasized that the assessment remains ongoing and subject to revision as crews complete detailed inspections.

Emergency managers declined to provide a breakdown of building types in the initial release and did not specify how many of the affected structures were primary residences. Officials said records will be updated as damage assessments progress and as access is granted to previously restricted areas.

Communities hardest hit

Electoral Area F emerged as the hardest-hit zone, with Faulder and Meadow Valley singled out for the bulk of losses. Smaller rural properties and neighbourhoods along the Bald Range corridor bore the brunt of the flames, according to the regional tally. Other pockets across the Okanagan-Similkameen region also experienced damage, but the concentration in Area F accounted for the vast majority of the initial count.

Local leaders warned that while the tally gives a first indication of impact, property owners should expect further changes to the list as more assessments are completed and more properties are surveyed. Recovery teams are prioritizing life-safety checks and securing structures before detailed damage classification takes place.

Evacuation orders and phased returns

The Bald Range wildfire prompted mass evacuations beginning on August 7, 2026, when more than 12,000 residents from Summerland and nearby communities including Peachland, Faulder and Meadow Valley were ordered to leave. The provincial government declared a state of emergency on August 8, 2026, to unlock additional resources for firefighting and community support.

Authorities staged returns in phases. A first return allowed residents from about 400 properties to re-enter on the initial phase, followed by a second phase covering approximately 800 properties. By Tuesday morning, the majority of evacuation orders in Summerland had been lifted, with Mayor Doug Holmes reporting that residents of roughly 3,380 homes were cleared to return. About 530 properties remained under evacuation orders in areas such as Garnet Valley, Prairie Valley and Meadow Valley.

Accommodations and supports for evacuees

The province reserved more than 1,000 hotel rooms across Penticton, Kelowna and West Kelowna to house displaced residents and those awaiting access to their properties. Local emergency management and the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen said transportation, temporary lodging and intake services were being coordinated to help families reconnect with their properties and begin recovery planning.

Regional officials also emphasized the availability of mental-health and wellness supports. Graham Statt, chief administrative officer for the District of Summerland, said the region is offering psychological assistance and on-site accompaniment to residents who need help processing losses or re-entering damaged homes. Support teams include social services workers and volunteers trained to help with initial recovery needs.

Voices from the community

Councillor Erin Trainer, who was able to return to her home during the early phases, described the scene inside her house as disorienting. “I opened the door and it smelled like we had had a campfire in our house,” she said, adding that a layer of ash covered many surfaces. Her account underscores the kind of damage residents are encountering even when structures remain standing.

Photos from Penticton and reception centres show evacuees gathered with pets and livestock, and volunteers assisting with basic needs. Local farmers and small property owners said the uncertainty over access and the condition of utilities is complicating immediate recovery decisions.

Outlook and next steps for recovery

Firefighting crews reported that conditions have stabilized enough to allow expanded assessment and controlled returns, but officials cautioned the situation remains dynamic. The number of people subject to evacuation orders across the province has fallen in recent days from more than 20,000 to about 10,500, reflecting containment efforts and changing fire behaviour, but further shifts are possible if weather or fire activity changes.

Regional teams are focusing on completing thorough damage surveys, restoring essential services where safe, and delivering financial and counseling supports to affected residents. Officials urged property owners to follow official channels for information and to avoid returning to restricted zones until cleared by authorities.

The Emergency Operations Centre reiterated that the tallies are interim and will be updated as assessments continue, and it asked the public to rely on verified emergency communications for the latest direction and assistance. As recovery moves forward, local and provincial agencies said they will continue coordinating lodging, mental-health support and practical help for those rebuilding in the wake of the Bald Range wildfire.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

The Calgary Tribune
The voice of Alberta to the world