Monday, August 17, 2026
Home PoliticsToronto mother Holly Roy returns to son JahVai’s grave, urges justice reform

Toronto mother Holly Roy returns to son JahVai’s grave, urges justice reform

by Bella Henderson
0 comments
Toronto mother Holly Roy returns to son JahVai's grave, urges justice reform

Mother of 8-year-old killed by stray bullet returns to grave as calls intensify to confront Toronto gun violence

A grieving mother returned to her son’s grave a year after the fatal stray bullet that killed him in north Toronto, renewing calls to address Toronto gun violence and youth exploitation.

Holly Roy, who lost her eight-year-old son JahVai in August 2025, visited his gravesite on Sunday for the first anniversary of his death. The killing, which occurred when a shot fired from outside her building struck the child while he slept beside his mother, has become a focal point in discussions about gun violence and the role of adults who recruit youth into criminal activity.

Roy described the day as surreal and said her Indigenous faith and family support have been central to coping with the loss. She is continuing public advocacy aimed at preventing other families from suffering similar tragedies while caring for her two surviving children.

Anniversary visit to the gravesite

Roy spent the anniversary at the cemetery to mark JahVai’s brief life and to remember the ordinary routines that were cut short. Family members and friends gathered to lay flowers and recall a boy described by relatives as energetic and devoted to his mother.

The visit was both a private act of mourning and a public reminder of the human toll behind statistics on shootings in the city. For Roy, returning to the grave was part of an effort to transform grief into sustained pressure for community safety and policy change.

Charges and investigation details

Police have charged three youths with first-degree murder in connection with JahVai’s death, and court proceedings remain pending. Authorities have said the shot that killed the child was fired from outside the apartment complex where the family lived.

One of the accused had been released on bail prior to subsequent detention, a development that has stirred public concern about the justice system’s handling of violent incidents involving minors. Prosecutors and police continue to build their case while the community seeks answers about accountability.

Calls for changes to youth justice laws

Roy and others have urged a review of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, arguing that adults who direct young people to commit violent acts too often exploit sentencing differences for minors. She and advocates say harsher consequences for organizers and traffickers who use children could deter the recruitment of youths into violent crime.

Municipal leaders and community groups have echoed concerns about legal gaps, while legal analysts note that any changes would require careful balancing of rehabilitation goals and public safety. The debate has prompted calls for clearer pathways to hold adult orchestrators accountable without abandoning evidence-based youth interventions.

Prevention and frontline community efforts

Roy has long worked on firearm-violence prevention and emphasized the need for community-based supports such as mentorship, job access and youth programming. She told reporters she does not want her son to be reduced to a statistic and stressed sustained investment in prevention resources.

Local groups have organized job fairs, youth recreation programs and outreach initiatives aimed at keeping young people engaged and away from illegal activity. Organizers say these measures can be effective but need consistent funding and coordination across agencies to reach vulnerable neighbourhoods.

City councillors press for coordinated support

Councillors in the affected wards have urged a coordinated response that combines prevention, enforcement and social services to reduce firearm incidents. Frances Nunziata, the local councillor, highlighted recent employment events and free sports activities that attracted hundreds of young people as examples of positive local work.

Josh Matlow, another city councillor, argued that creating safe spaces and expanding access to homework help, youth centres and restorative-justice programs can help divert youth from violence. Both councillors warned that provincial and federal partners must step up funding to sustain these initiatives.

Broader community reaction and next steps

Grassroots organizations and neighbourhood residents have called for wider civic engagement, saying that public pressure from ordinary citizens can amplify the work being done on the ground. Roy appealed to people who are not directly affected by gun violence to lend their voices and support to prevention efforts.

As legal proceedings continue, community leaders say the focus must remain on both securing justice in individual cases and building systems that prevent future tragedies. The anniversary observance has sharpened attention on how the city and its partners will respond in the months ahead.

Holly Roy said she will continue to campaign for safer communities while caring for her family, insisting that collective action is necessary to ensure every child in Toronto can grow up without fear.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

The Calgary Tribune
The voice of Alberta to the world